Employers Post a Job Jobseekers View Jobs or Post a Resume
RECENT FEATURES & COLUMNS
SPONSORED EVENT LISTINGS
Tuesday, June 17 2014
1:00 PM - 3:00 PM EDT
The Building Blocks for Population Health Management: Real-Time Clinical Surveillance and Clinical Performance Benchmarking
Fiona McNaughton, Dir. Product Management, Truven Health AnalyticsPresenter: Fiona McNaughton, Dir. Product Management,
Truven Health Analytics
PSQH CAREER CENTER
MOST READ ARTICLES
- Malpractice Claims Analysis Confirms Risks in EHRs
- Medication Reconciliation: Getting Started with IT
- Don’t (Always) Give Blood
- Interdisciplinary Leadership Team Responds to Escalating Drug Shortages
- Healthcare Analytics: Patient Engagement — What Can We Learn from Other Industries?
- Special Advertising Section: Hand Hygiene—Always a Gentleman
A great clinical nurse automatically makes a good preceptor, right?
Wrong, according to Beth Ulrich, EdD, RN, FACHE, FAAN, and author of Mastering Precepting: A Nurse’s Handbook for Success.
The book, published by the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), is written specifically as a guidebook for nurses who are preceptors, who are thinking of becoming preceptors or those who supervise preceptors.
A comprehensive compilation of knowledge and resources, Mastering Precepting includes content such as:
- In depth definitions of the preceptor’s role
- Strategies for effective precepting
- Competence, critical thinking, clinical judgment and confidence
- Precepting specific demographics and populations
- Assessing and addressing preceptee behavior and motivation
- A chapter for managers on selecting, supporting and sustaining preceptors
- Practicing self-care to prevent burnout
In addition to the book, Dr. Ulrich has developed a companion website, www.RNPreceptor.com, which provides additional resources and a forum to connect preceptors from around the world.
“This book is a survival guide,” says Dr. Ulrich. “It is a resource for preceptors from two perspectives – the knowledge they need to become competent preceptors and the knowledge they need to precept others.”
Mastering Precepting: A Nurse’s Handbook for Success By Beth Ulrich, EdD, RN, FACHE, FAAN?
Published by the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International?
?Price: US $39.95? Trade paperback, 320 pages?
Available at www.nursingknowledge.org/STTIbooks
About the Author
Beth Ulrich, EdD, RN, FACHE, FAAN, is a nationally recognized thought leader, known for her research studying nursing work environments and the experiences of new nurses as they transition into the workforce. She has extensive experience as a health care executive, educator and researcher. She currently serves as the vice president of hospital services for CAE Healthcare (formerly METI), a world leader in human patient simulation, and as editor of the Nephrology Nursing Journal. Dr. Ulrich has been a co-investigator on a series of national nursing workforce and work environment studies and two studies of critical care nurse work environments conducted with the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses. She resides in Houston, Texas.