Employers Post a Job Jobseekers View Jobs or Post a Resume
LATEST PATIENT SAFETY AND QUALITY HEALTHCARE NEWS
PSQH CAREER CENTER
An IC Check-Up
Please register for Strategies to Manage Hospital Acquired Conditions Reporting in an ACA World - An IC Check-Up on Sept 9th, 2014 1:00 PM CDT at: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5973501898406116610
With the August 1 Final Rule announcement by CMS, it’s time we had an Infection Control check-up from our IC expert, Brian Foy.
Brian will explain recent changes to Federal rules and its impacts on everyday IC preventionists. Then, the team will outline some of the experienced and expected challenges faced by industry partners and their solutions.
More information on Strategies to Manage Hospital Acquired Conditions Reporting in an ACA World - An IC Check-Up...
RECENT FEATURES & COLUMNS
MOST READ ARTICLES
- Malpractice Claims Analysis Confirms Risks in EHRs
- Medication Reconciliation: Getting Started with IT
- Don’t (Always) Give Blood
- Interdisciplinary Leadership Team Responds to Escalating Drug Shortages
- Healthcare Analytics: Patient Engagement — What Can We Learn from Other Industries?
- Special Advertising Section: Hand Hygiene—Always a Gentleman
PATIENT SAFETY AND QUALITY HEALTHCARE BLOG
A great clinical nurse automatically makes a good preceptor, right?
Wrong, according to Beth Ulrich, EdD, RN, FACHE, FAAN, and author of Mastering Precepting: A Nurse’s Handbook for Success.
The book, published by the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), is written specifically as a guidebook for nurses who are preceptors, who are thinking of becoming preceptors or those who supervise preceptors.
A comprehensive compilation of knowledge and resources, Mastering Precepting includes content such as:
- In depth definitions of the preceptor’s role
- Strategies for effective precepting
- Competence, critical thinking, clinical judgment and confidence
- Precepting specific demographics and populations
- Assessing and addressing preceptee behavior and motivation
- A chapter for managers on selecting, supporting and sustaining preceptors
- Practicing self-care to prevent burnout
In addition to the book, Dr. Ulrich has developed a companion website, www.RNPreceptor.com, which provides additional resources and a forum to connect preceptors from around the world.
“This book is a survival guide,” says Dr. Ulrich. “It is a resource for preceptors from two perspectives – the knowledge they need to become competent preceptors and the knowledge they need to precept others.”
Mastering Precepting: A Nurse’s Handbook for Success By Beth Ulrich, EdD, RN, FACHE, FAAN?
Published by the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International?
?Price: US $39.95? Trade paperback, 320 pages?
Available at www.nursingknowledge.org/STTIbooks
About the Author
Beth Ulrich, EdD, RN, FACHE, FAAN, is a nationally recognized thought leader, known for her research studying nursing work environments and the experiences of new nurses as they transition into the workforce. She has extensive experience as a health care executive, educator and researcher. She currently serves as the vice president of hospital services for CAE Healthcare (formerly METI), a world leader in human patient simulation, and as editor of the Nephrology Nursing Journal. Dr. Ulrich has been a co-investigator on a series of national nursing workforce and work environment studies and two studies of critical care nurse work environments conducted with the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses. She resides in Houston, Texas.