BD and CareFusion have announced a definitive agreement under which BD will acquire CareFusion for $58.00 per share in cash and stock, or a total of $12.2 billion, to create a global leader in medication management and patient safety solutions.
Mayo Clinic is committed to reducing healthcare expenses and improving access to medical services through a new telemedicine pilot project called Mayo Clinic Health Connection.
Process Explains Poor Service—A Quality Conundrum?
Process is supposed to make things better: more efficient, more cost effective, and leading to higher patient/customer satisfaction. Process is the magic bullet for fixing quality and service problems, BUT not if the process is flawed.
Several quality tools focus attention on improving process, including LEAN, Six Sigma, and PDSA (Plan-Do-Study-Act). For organizations that have not mastered quality improvement techniques, “process” may be an excuse, rather than a solution. Beware the trap.
In the same way that health care learns from other industries, maybe others can learn from us.
1) A victim of an arson fire submits a claim to his insurer. There is no problem until the client expects to be paid for the claim. There is no disagreement on the coverage of the claim or the amount required, yet the insurer repeatedly misses payment deadlines while incessantly requesting duplicate information, inspections, and interviews. When the victim objects, he is told by his agent that this is the process and therefore acceptable. How expensive was this process in terms of time, stress, and money to the client who had paid for insurance? Where was the value added for anyone?
2) An IT vendor sends out a letter to all of its customers noting that it had experienced unprecedented growth. The CEO appreciates everyone’s understanding, but they will currently be unable to respond to help desk and other client requirements. When a customer points out that this leaves the customer with unmet needs that are being paid for, he is told that he has to wait for a process to be in place; as implementing a new process is part of the vendor’s practice for managing growth. How does this “process” explanation work for the client? Simple: it doesn’t.
In 2001, the Institute of Medicine defined desirable characteristics of a health care system as safe, timely, effective, efficient, equitable, and patient (client) centered. Thirteen years later, how much better would daily life be for all of us if vendors in all fields used these characteristic to design process for us?
, please include
Quality Column in the subject line.
We look forward to your participation in this column.
IS YOUR MEDICAL EDUCATION ACCREDITED?
ABQAURP welcomes applications for joint sponsorship of educational activities for continuing education credit. ABQAURP accredits a variety of activities, including:
Internet Activity Live
Internet Activity Enduring Material
ABQAURP is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to sponsor continuing medical education for physicians and is accredited by the Florida Board of Nursing to sponsor nursing contact hours. As an accredited provider, ABQAURP is here to work with each joint sponsor organization to ensure the accreditation process runs as smoothly as possible. Benefits of working with ABQAURP include: one-on-one assistance, on-site assistance, contact for speakers and commercial supporters, evaluation compilation, one-time mailing list to drive attendance, website placement, and advertising in Patient Safety & Quality Healthcare magazine.
For more information, please call Deborah Naser at (800) 998-6030, ext. 118.
EXHIBIT AND SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE!
HIGH QUALITY AND AFFORDABLE CARE THROUGH ACCOUNTABILITY
Whatever your objective, you can accomplish it here! Unlike large mega-meetings with acres of competition, the 38th Annual Health Care Quality and Patient Safety Conference is your opportunity to receive attention from customers in a personal atmosphere where you won’t be overlooked.
Don’t miss this opportunity to network with renowned faculty, health care executives, influential health care decision-makers, and some of Houston’s leading experts discussing these relevant topics:
- Reimbursement for patient engagement
- Framework for successful Accountable Care Organizations
- Value of customer service
- Legal risks of the Medicare Shared Savings Program
- Importance of documentation and implementing ICD-10
- Impact of inadequate behavioral health services
Don’t miss this unique opportunity to demonstrate the value of your products and services outside of today’s crowded marketplace!
Please call (800) 998-6030 for information on sponsorship opportunities.
Health Care Quality and Management (HCQM) Certification
Best of luck to our 2014 HCQM Exam Candidates
as they prepare to sit for this year’s exam!
When deciding on a credential, you want the best, most comprehensive certification that covers the entire health care quality continuum. Choose the provider with the experience that has come to define the field of Health Care Quality and Management.
ABQAURP is pleased to collaborate with the National Board of Medical Examiners® (NBME®) in the administration of the HCQM certification exam. ABQAURP is dedicated to assuring a high quality certification process with definable standards; the NBME involvement reinforces that dedication. Together, we consult on the planning, development, analysis, and scoring of the certification exam, bringing examinees an exam experience based on a vast array of knowledge and expertise.
We are currently accepting applications for the 2015 HCQM exam window.
Early Registration Discount – Take $100 off your Exam Fee by February 28, 2015
Application Deadline: June 30, 2015
Exam Window: August 15 – October 15, 2015
Don’t delay, seating is limited!
“National Board of Medical Examiners®” and “NBME®” are registered trademarks of the National Board of Medical Examiners.
Prepare Now! CORE BODY OF KNOWLEDGE ONLINE COURSE
20 CME/CE Hours!
The journey towards certification begins here. ABQAURP’s HCQM Certification covers an immense scope of content and topics. To aid you in preparation for this exam, we have developed a Core Body of Knowledge course designed to focus on key concepts and elements of HCQM. By utilizing this tool, you will build upon your existing skills and knowledge and possibly discover new content that will enhance your experience in quality health care. Completing this course now will meet the educational requirements for the 2015 exam cycle.
Please call Barbara Morris at: (800) 998-6030, extension 116, or visit our website (www.abqaurp.org) for more information on Certification and preparation.
The Association for the Healthcare Environment (AHE), a personal membership group of the American Hospital Association (AHA), and Kimberly-Clark Professional have announced the recipients of the third annual Heart of Healthcare Awards, honoring outstanding environmental services technicians who make a difference for patients and long-term care residents.
Inova Fairfax Medical Center (IFMC) in Virginia and its newly opened Advanced Surgical Technology and Education Center (ASTEC) are using Qstream's mobile, game-based platform to drive improved patient safety and clinical knowledge among an interdisciplinary operating room (OR) team.
Since its inception in 2006, The Way-Paver Award for Bedside Barcoding has acknowledged the exceptional contributions of individuals and organizations who have helped clear the path and pave the way to safer patient care by applying bar-code technology in healthcare.
PDI, maker of infection prevention products and solutions, continues to reinforce the importance of a complete infection prevention program for skin antisepsis.
The American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) recently issued a policy statement that underscores the importance of safe, accurate, and effective diagnostic tests by recommending that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) begin to actively exert its authority to regulate high-risk laboratory developed tests (LDTs) that are being utilized by physicians to make treatment decisions, including the tailoring of an individual’s cancer treatment regimen.
An advanced healthcare analytics and workflow software package, the Juvo Care Performance Platform is being launched by Midas+, A Xerox Company, to collect and analyze today’s massive amount of patient-care data and deliver detailed recommendations for better healthcare.
The Joint Commission has issued a new Sentinel Event Alert that addresses the risks of accidental medical tubing misconnections that can cause severe patient injury or death.
- CareFusion Launches App to Help Clinicians Improve Patient Care for Mechanically Ventilated Patients
- CHRISTUS Health Upgrades Patient Monitoring to Pulse Oximetry Technology
- Cerner, Siemens Create Strategic Alliance to Improve Clinical Outcomes and More
- Survey: Work-related Injuries and Their Potential Impact on Quality Patient Care to be of Great Concern to Nursing Workforce
- ECRI Institute's Alarm Safety Handbook Helps Hospitals Minimize a Top Threat to Patient Safety
- Report: Changes to Graduate Medical Education Needed for Future of Physician Workforce
- New Toolkits Ease the Transition from Pediatric to Adult Healthcare
- Infirmary Health Achieves Rapid Physician Adoption of its EHR Using Nuance Cloud-Based Speech Recognition
- St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor Expands Use of LiveData Technology to Improve Patient Safety
- Reduce Readmissions to Lower Healthcare Costs: ASQ Survey
- Welch Allyn Expands Connex Vital Signs Monitor to Improve Bedside Patient Safety
- AAMI, ECRI Institute Report Guides Senior Executives on Meeting Key Healthcare Technology Safety Challenges
- Baptist Health Becomes World’s First Health System to Adopt Uniforms with Fluid-Repelling, Antimicrobial Textile Technology
- The Joint Commission Alerts Healthcare Industry to Prevalence of Unsafe Injection Practices
- Boston Hospitals Report Improved Patient Outcomes, Financial Savings from Nurse-led Initiatives