Washington, D.C. and Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois August 3, 2011—The National Quality Forum (NQF) and The Joint Commission are accepting applications for the 2011 John M. Eisenberg Patient Safety and Quality Awards.
The Human Factors and Ergonomics Society congratulates Dietrich Manzey, Maria Luz, Stefan Mueller, Andreas Dietz, Juergen Meixensberger, and Gero Strauss on receiving the 2011 Human Factors Prize for their article, “Automation in Surgery: The Impact of Navigated-Control Assistance on Performance, Workload, Situation Awareness, and Acquisition of Surgical Skills.”
Providence, Rhode Island, September, 8, 2011—The Rhode Island Quality Institute (RIQI), a not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving the quality, safety and value of healthcare in Rhode Island, announced the launch of its statewide Direct Adoption Program.
Sept. 12, 2001—Healthcare spending is 10 percent higher for hospital employees than it is for the general employee population, according to a study released today by the healthcare business of Thomson Reuters.
Aug. 30, 2011—The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) is soliciting research proposals that address nursing practice, care, and education for consideration by RWJF and its partners in a multi-funder initiative. The goal of the initiative is to identify, generate, synthesize and disseminate evidence essential to implementing the recommendations outlined in the Institute of Medicine’s report, “The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health.” The RWJF Interdisciplinary Nursing Quality Research Initiative is managing the initiative for RWJF and is accepting proposals until January 3, 2012.
Aug. 15, 2011—PharMEDium Services, LLC, market leader for customized pharmacy sterile compounding for hospital intravenous and epidural therapies, launched its new website,www.pharmedium.com, which now provides updates on drug shortages, patient safety and ready-to-use pharmacy compounding services.
Aug. 30, 2011—A study published online last week in Annals of Emergency Medicine reports that more than 1,000 cardiac arrest deaths over 15 years were connected to the failure of automated external defibrillators (AEDs); battery failure accounted for almost one-quarter of the failures.
Aug. 29, 2011—The American College of Radiology (ACR) has issued a statement in response to a Sentinel Event Alert issued by The Joint Commission (TJC) on the "Radiation Risks of Diagnostic Imaging." The ACR agrees in general that "care should be taken" but wishes to clarify inaccuracies it finds in the Sentinel Alert.
Deerfield, IL, Aug. 25, 2011—Baxter International Inc. announced today that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Baxa Corporation, a privately held company based in Englewood, Colo. Baxa develops pharmacy technology that enhances the efficiency and safety of oral and IV dose preparation and delivery. The addition of Baxa's product lines will complement Baxter's portfolio of nutrition products and drug delivery systems and supports patient safety.
Oakbrook Terrace, IL, Aug. 24, 2011—While diagnostic radiation tests can help save lives, a new Joint Commission Sentinel Event Alert warns that health care organizations must seek new ways to reduce exposure to repeated doses of harmful radiation from these diagnostic procedures. The Alert urges greater attention to the risk of long-term damage and cumulative harm that can occur if a patient is given repeated doses of diagnostic radiation.
Aug. 19, 2011—The Jeanie Schmidt Free Clinic in Herndon, Virginia, has received a CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield grant to expand its Shared Medical Appointment program, a treatment model designed to increase clinic capacity, maximize staff and volunteer efficiency, and empower patients to engage in their own health care outcomes.
Language Line Services Partners with Manhattan Cross Cultural Group and Quality Interactions to Provide Innovative Tools to Improve Healthcare for Diverse Patient Populations
Birmingham, Alabama—NextGen Healthcare Information Systems, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Quality Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ: QSII) and a leading provider of healthcare information systems and connectivity solutions, announced it has entered into an agreement with MEDSEEK to create the NextGen® Enterprise Patient Portal.
- iSirona Awarded Medical Device Integration Contract from Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
- American College of Surgeons Announces Goal to Enlist 1,000 Hospitals to its National Surgical Quality Improvement Program
- Vestagen Participates in OSHA Meetings To Examine Occupational Exposure to Infectious Diseases
- Salamander, Versus Team Up to Provide Complete Patient-tracking Solution
- HLI Launches Latest Provider Friendly Terminology Solution Upgrade
- AHRA and Toshiba Expand Fourth Annual "Putting Patients First" Program
- What’s Your Experience with Clinical Alarms?
- ABMS Announces the Creation of a Health Care Quality and Patient Safety Award
- To Better Is Human: MedStar Health Forms "National Center for Human Factors Engineering in Healthcare" to Advance Patient Safety
- Call for Nominations: MITSS HOPE Award
- IOM Calls for New Regulatory Framework To Replace Flawed 510(k) Medical Device Clearance Process
- ASQ Healthcare Conference Seeks Presenters
- The Leapfrog Group Will Publicly Report on Nursing Excellence
- CJPS Medical Systems Launches Breakthrough Portable Vital Signs Monitor
- Sermo Launches Real Time Medicine™ Mobile App for Physicians