November 16, 2011 — Atlanta, GA. Healthcare Team Training (HTT) and IDEAS have partnered to launch StoryCare™, the first enterprise-wide, staff deployed teamwork simulation program using the power of story to measurably improve patient safety and satisfaction.
NQF is now accepting applications for its 2012 National Quality Healthcare Award. Interested organizations must complete an Intent to Apply and submit it no later than December 22, 2011 to be considered eligible.
Nov. 14, 2011—The winner of the 2011 MITSS HOPE Award is the NEXT STEP Program at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital Emergency Department in Ann Arbor, Michigan. The HOPE Award Honors Outstanding People Everywhere who have furthered the MITSS mission of Supporting Healing and Restoring Hope to patients, and families, and clinicians who have been impacted by adverse medical events. RL Solutions’ President and CEO, Sanjay Malaviya, presented the award at the MITSS 10th Annual Dinner and Fundraiser held at the Westin Copley Place, Boston, on Tuesday, November 1st.
Nov. 8, 2011—To protect Americans from potential medical errors associated with the use of information technology in patient care, a new report by the Institute of Medicine calls for greater oversight by the public and private sectors. The report examines a broad range of health information technologies, including electronic health records, secure patient portals, and health information exchanges, but not software for medical devices.
Nov. 8, 2011—ECRI Institute’s annual Top 10 hazard list is a comprehensive report designed to raise awareness of the potential dangers associated with the use of medical devices and systems. Most significantly, the report includes action-oriented recommendations on addressing these risks.
Oct. 31, 2011—President Obama today signed an Executive Order directing the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to take action to help further prevent and reduce prescription drug shortages, protect consumers and prevent price gouging. The President’s order directs FDA to broaden reporting of potential shortages of certain prescription drugs and to further expedite regulatory reviews that can help prevent or respond to shortages. Under the President’s order, FDA will also work with to the Department of Justice, which will examine whether potential shortages have led to illegal price gouging or stockpiling of life-saving medications.
Oct. 25, 2011—CDC’s Preventing Infections in Cancer Patients program is a comprehensive initiative focusing on providing information, action steps, and tools for patients, their families, and their health care providers to reduce the risk of life-threatening infections during chemotherapy treatment in outpatient oncology settings.
IHI Releases 2nd Edition of "Respectful Management of Serious Clinical Adverse Events" at ASHRM Conference
Oct.18, 2011—The Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) has published an updated version of its white paper, "Respectful Management of Serious Clinical Adverse Events." The paper was announced by co-author Jim Conway, IHI senior fellow, during a presentation at the annual conference of the American Society for Healthcare Risk Management (ASHRM) in Phoenix.
- Awarepoint Corporation and MEDITECH Collaborate to Integrate Technology Platforms
- Memorial University Medical Center Chooses Radio Frequency Detection Technology to Enhance Operating Room Safety
- Cook County Health & Hospitals System Joins GE Patient Safety Organization
- Children's of Alabama Selects iSirona for Medical Device Integration
- Vocera Debuts New Communication Badge
- Connexall 4.3 Enables Industry’s Highest Level of Hospital Collaboration
- FDA Launches Initiative to Prevent Surgical Fires
- NPSF Announces 2012 Patient Safety Awareness Week Campaign
- InterimID™ Supports Patient ID and Downstream Workflows during HIS or Network Downtime
- APIC and AHE Partner on “Clean Spaces, Healthy Patients” Initiative
- AdverseEvents Launches Innovative Drug Side Effect Reporting System
- ISMP Medication Safety Alert! The Power of Storytelling
- AHRQ Releases Guide to Reducing Unintended Consequences of EHRs
- FDA Public Workshop on MRI Safety
- Standard Register and Poken Launch Touch-Enabled Products and Services for Healthcare