Horsham, Pennsylvania—The Institute for Safe Medication Practices (ISMP) announced its 14th Annual Cheers Awards winners and Lifetime Achievement Award recipient. The Cheers Awards honor individuals, organizations, and companies that have set a standard of excellence for others to follow in the prevention of medication errors and adverse drug events. The winners of this year’s awards are:
Cambridge, Massachusetts—The Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) announced the launch of a pilot testing program designed to avoid overuse and misuse of antibiotics in hospitals. Designed in collaboration with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the program focuses on a new jointly developed initiative, the CDC/IHI Driver Diagram and Change Package for Antibiotic Stewardship.
Washington, D.C.—Sixty-five hospitals have earned The Leapfrog Group’s annual “Top Hospital” designation, equaling 2010’s record-setting total. The “Top Hospital” designation, which is the most competitive national hospital quality award in the country, recognizes hospitals that deliver the highest quality care by preventing medical errors, reducing mortality for high-risk procedures like heart bypass surgery, and reducing hospital readmissions for patients being treated for conditions like pneumonia and heart attack.
Dec. 1, 2011—In partnership with the Lucian Leape Institute at the National Patient Safety Foundation, The Doctors Company Foundation presents the Young Physicians Patient Safety Award—an award to recognize young physicians for their deep personal insight into the significance of patient safety work. Six winners will receive $5,000 + registration and travel expenses to the NPSF Annual Congress in May 2012. Application deadline is Feb. 9, 2012.
Nov. 22, 2011—U.S. Commerce Secretary John Bryson today named four organizations—three health care operations and one nonprofit business—as recipients of the 2011 Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award, the nation’s highest Presidential honor for performance excellence through innovation, improvement and visionary leadership.
Voalté, a leader in clinical communication technology and software for healthcare institutions, and Cedars-Sinai Medical Center announced the launching of Voalté’s point-of-care communication solution, consolidating voice, alarm and text on the versatile iPhone platform.
athenahealth, Inc., a leading provider of cloud-based practice management, electronic health record (EHR), and care coordination services to medical groups, announced a collaboration agreement with Medley Health, a leading provider of membership practice marketing and communications services for independent primary care physicians and their patients.
November 16, 2011 — Atlanta, GA. Healthcare Team Training (HTT) and IDEAS have partnered to launch StoryCare™, the first enterprise-wide, staff deployed teamwork simulation program using the power of story to measurably improve patient safety and satisfaction.
- Workplace Violence Against Emergency Nurses Remains High
- HIMSS Analytics: Roles of CMIO and CNO Evolve to Support New Technologies
- Application Period for 2012 National Quality Healthcare Award Now Open
- NEXT STEP Program Wins 2011 HOPE Award
- IOM Issues Report on Patient Safety and Health IT
- ECRI Institute Announces its Top 10 Health Technology Hazards for 2012
- Obama Takes Action to Reduce Prescription Drug Shortages and Fight Price Gouging
- CDC Launches Effort to Protect Cancer Patients from Infections
- IHI Releases 2nd Edition of "Respectful Management of Serious Clinical Adverse Events" at ASHRM Conference
- Awarepoint Corporation and MEDITECH Collaborate to Integrate Technology Platforms
- Memorial University Medical Center Chooses Radio Frequency Detection Technology to Enhance Operating Room Safety
- Cook County Health & Hospitals System Joins GE Patient Safety Organization
- Children's of Alabama Selects iSirona for Medical Device Integration
- Vocera Debuts New Communication Badge
- Connexall 4.3 Enables Industry’s Highest Level of Hospital Collaboration