In a new report, the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST), recommends implementing a “systems engineering” approach to achieve lower cost and higher quality in healthcare.
MEPS Real-Time Inc., a provider of RFID solutions for pharmacy automation and inventory management, has introduced the industry’s smallest RFID smart tag that significantly improves the automated replenishment of kits, trays, and tackle boxes in the hospital pharmacy.
Truven Health Analytics, a provider of healthcare analytics and data solutions and services, has acquired Simpler Consulting®, the global leader in providing Lean enterprise transformation services. The strategic acquisition combines Truven’s market-leading cost and quality analytics with Simpler’s performance management consulting capabilities to deliver impactful and tangible performance improvement solutions to healthcare, government, and commercial customers.
There is a growing trend across the U.S. for hospitals to seek ISO: 9001-2008 certification as a key component in their continuing commitment to be a highly reliable organization.
The Department of Health and Human Services announced that new preliminary data show an overall nine percent decrease in hospital acquired conditions nationally during 2011 and 2012. National reductions in adverse drug events, falls, infections, and other forms of hospital-induced harm are estimated to have prevented nearly 15,000 deaths in hospitals, avoided 560,000 patient injuries, and approximately $4 billion in health spending over the same period.
The Center for Patient Safety (CPS) has landed its first national contract from Air Evac Lifeteam, a subsidiary of Air Medical Group Holdings, announced Becky Miller, executive director, CPS. Air Evac Lifeteam, an air ambulance company, currently has 115 bases in 15 states. The three-year participation agreement was executed on April 1, 2014.
Improving healthcare can start by curing hospitals themselves: The construction of the new Mercy Hospital Joplin comes amid a revolution in thinking about how buildings themselves can improve medicine.
Patient safety is a top priority for every healthcare organization, but knowing where to direct initiatives can be daunting. To help organizations decide where to focus their efforts, ECRI Institute has compiled its first annual list of the Top 10 Patient Safety Concerns for Healthcare Organizations.
Nuance PowerShareTM Network, the industry’s largest cloud-based network for securely connecting physicians, patients, government agencies, specialty medical societies, and others to share essential medical images and reports is now available from Nuance Communications, Inc.
Failure to perform proper hand hygiene is one of the leading preventable causes of healthcare-associated infections. iScrub is an iPhone/iPod Touch application from The Computational Epidemiology Group at the University of Iowa.
The Awarepoint Humidity Tag monitors ambient room moisture in critical areas, eliminating manual logging, immediately notifying personnel of irregularities, and increasing compliance with issue resolution documentation.
The Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA) has announced Jason Lempp, MPH, CIC, as the winner of the third annual EPI Project Competition. Lempp was honored with the early investigator award for his project looking to determine if the Washington State Validation Protocol for central line-associated bloodstream infections (CLABSIs) can be a scalable, sustainable model for tracking and ensuring quality national data on healthcare-associated infections (HAIs).
When it comes to the cost and quality of hospital care, nurse tenure and teamwork matters. Patients get the best care when they are treated in units that are staffed by nurses who have extensive experience in their current job, according to a study from researchers at Columbia University School of Nursing and Columbia Business School.
The American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) has chosen Premier, Inc., a leading health care improvement company, to develop a first-of-its-kind learning collaborative for the ASA’s Perioperative Surgical Home (PSH) model of care.
Nuance Communications, Inc. has announced that Borgess Health, which provides care to nearly one million people across southwest Michigan, has secured $9 million in additional appropriate revenue within one year of implementing the Nuance Compliant Documentation Management Program (CDMP®), part of the Nuance Clintegrity 360 | CDI solution.
- Sanford Health’s Real-time Operational Intelligence Initiative Includes Sonitor Sense Technology
- AHA Launches Symposium for Healthcare Quality Leaders to Increase Patient Safety Improvements
- ‘Management by Walking Around’ Programs in Hospitals May Do More Harm Than Good
- ECRI Institute PSO Convenes First Multi-Stakeholder Collaborative on Health IT Safety
- Patient Portal Certification Helps Health Systems Meet Meaningful Use Requirements
- Online Platform Allows Physicians to Collaborate on Complex Cases
- Partnership Increases Hand Hygiene Compliance
- Call to Action on Patient and Family Engagement in Healthcare from NPSF’s Lucian Leape Institute
- Online Competition Aims to Improve Patient Engagement and Education, Reduce Isolation
- First Databank Releases FDB AlertSpace Alert Management Solution
- Surgical Notes Develops Mobile Transcription Application to Improve Completion of Physician Operative Notes
- athenahealth Announces First Cloud-Based Clinical Integration and Patient Access Service for Hospitals and Health Systems
- Inappropriate Antibiotic Use in Hospitals Putting Patients At Risk
- International Panel of Pathology Leaders Develop Principles for Patient Safety
- Patient Engagement Software Aimed at Improving Care Transitions and Patient Satisfaction