News of patient deaths caused by outbreaks of carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE) infections is fueling media attention and putting the healthcare community on high alert regarding appropriate disinfection practices for duodenoscopes.
The Schwartz Center for Compassionate Healthcare, the only national nonprofit dedicated to strengthening the human connection at the heart of healthcare, is accepting nominations for its prestigious Schwartz Center National Compassionate Caregiver of the Year (NCCY) Award.
The Palm Medical Group, a division of Hygea Healthcare, has selected HealthFusion, Inc., provider of top-ranked MediTouch® EHR software, as the Vendor of Choice for electronic health records (EHRs).
When patients communicate with healthcare providers, medical jargon sometimes makes it seem they are speaking a different language. Imagine what it would be like if they were, in fact, speaking a different language.
The Partnership for Health IT Patient Safety, an innovative and collaborative multi-stakeholder effort, took important steps in improving health IT safety at its first in-person meeting held in September at ECRI Institute's U.S. headquarters outside Philadelphia.
The healthcare field has made significant effort to accelerate patient safety since publication of To Err Is Human: Building a Safer Health System, the Institute of Medicine’s groundbreaking 1999 report on medical errors.
National Patient Safety Foundation To Provide Oversight of Research Study on Pneumonia in Hospitalized Patients
The National Patient Safety Foundation (NPSF), a central voice for patient safety since 1997, will provide oversight for a research study that is seeking a better understanding of non-ventilator-associated hospital-acquired pneumonia (NV-HAP).
The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) has awarded a $4.8 million grant to the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) to help communities develop capability to improve health and to spread effective community-driven approaches to help build a Culture of Health.
The Department of Veterans Affairs has established the new Center for Medical Product End-user Testing at VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System. This center, based at the healthcare system’s University Drive campus, is responsible for evaluating medical products before they are purchased and used to treat Veterans at VA medical facilities across the country.
Vocera Communications, Inc., a provider of intelligent, real-time communication and collaboration solutions for mission-critical mobile environments, will provide a cloud-based secure text messaging solution as a benefit to all of its U.S. healthcare customers, at no additional cost, for use by any of their affiliated healthcare providers.
Erin M. Sparnon has been named the recipient of the 2014 ACCE-HIMSS Excellence in Clinical Engineering and Information Technology Synergies Award, a joint award sponsored by the American College of Clinical Engineering (ACCE) and HIMSS. The boards of directors of both organizations selected the recipient.
The Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) has released Connecting Health and Care for the Nation: A Shared Nationwide Interoperability Roadmap Version 1.0. The draft Roadmap is a proposal to deliver better care and result in healthier people through the safe and secure exchange and use of electronic health information.
Huron Consulting Group Inc., a provider of business consulting services, has entered into an agreement to acquire Studer Group, a professional services firm that assists healthcare providers achieve cultural transformation to deliver and sustain exceptional improvement in clinical outcomes and financial results.
Open communication and a free flow of information represent the “magic pill” needed to improve many of the issues in healthcare related to safety, according to a new report released today by the National Patient Safety Foundation’s Lucian Leape Institute.
- Companies Plan to Create Model for System-wide Outcomes Improvement
- Case Analysis Examines Vulnerabilities in Diagnostic Process
- Tru-D SmartUVC LLC and Premier, Inc. Contract Improves Infection Prevention
- John Q. Sherman Award for Excellence in Patient Engagement Call for Nominations
- ECRI Institute Releases Top 10 Healthcare Technology Issues for 2015
- ABMRS to Offer Professional Credential in Magnetic Resonance Safety
- Betsy Lehman Center for Patient Safety Relaunches to Improve Patient Safety
- New Coalition Focuses on Continuous Patient Monitoring
- Colorado Health Plans Collaborate to Create Data-sharing Solution for Care Providers
- Studies Show Physician Empathy Increases Patient Satisfaction and Outcomes
- PSO Leaders Partner to Improve Patient Care
- Cooley Dickinson Hospital Renews Contract for DebMed Hand Hygiene Monitoring System
- Annual List of Top 10 Health Technology Hazards Released
- TeamSTEPPS Web-based Training Opportunities Available
- New ‘Self-Cleaning’ Surface Technology Reduces Pathogens in Hospital Environment